Books

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

10 Year Reunion

Today, I found out a man I went to school with was murdered.  Shot and killed and disposed of on some random driveway - the police do not have any suspects nor any motives.  Although I did not know him, I do remember him from high school and this heinous crime rocks me to my core.

Life is very fleeting and with our 10 year high school reunion looming on the horizon, it makes me take a moment to reflect.

I think about the plans, dreams, hopes, and lives we had for ourselves as children, as teens, and even the ones we have now.  Have we accomplished all that we had set out to do?  Will we ever accomplish it all?  I think not only of David, but of my friend Tiffany, and of my husband's friend Eric.  All three friends from high school.  All three whose lives were cut too short.  All three who will never realize and accomplish the hopes and dreams - the plans they had for their lives.

All three who will never make it to their 10 year high school reunion.

I remember recently talking to my dad after he had attended his 40th high school reunion.  When I asked him how it was, he replied that it was sad.  Every time they get together he finds that more of his friends, more of his former classmates, have had their lives cut short.  Even at 60 years old, there is so much more life to be lived.

But, I never thought I would have so many of my own friends and former classmates pass away so soon - before we could even make it to this first of our high school reunions.

I guess that's why they say live life as if it were your last day... but that's not really realistic either.  If I were to do that today, assuming that I do not die for another 50 years, I would run out of resources (mainly money) to support myself.  I couldn't just quit my job today and travel the world without consequences...

There are no answers - no words - nothing else to say to fill the void, this pregnant pause

No comments:

Post a Comment